Friday, July 10, 2009

Day Two on The Elimination Diet

I started The Elimination Diet yesterday and hooo boy does it suck! I am a vegetarian so I am used to a limited amount of foods, but soy free gluten free and dairy free is HARD. It's the reason I never went vegan.

I love my eggs and my cheese and I just haven't found anything that can rightfully replace them. I love food, but I wouldn't call myself a foodie because I don't care for cooking. I do love to bake however. But I am not creative enough for this diet. I eat a lot of one dish sort of meals with pasta or rice. I eat quite a lot of sandwiches. I buy the faux ham slices and right now the brand escapes me, but it's delicious and so I eat a lot of faux ham sandwiches. I can't have my faux ham. Sob.

I decided the easiest way to go about this elimination diet was to replace as many of the food items I currently eat with something I could eat. Bread, I thought. If I can make sandwiches and toast in the morning then maybe this diet wouldn't be so bad. Was I ever wrong!

I purchased a loaf of Ener G's yeast free gluten free dairy free soy free completely without flavor free bread. It was awful. It's comparable to eating sand. I opened the package and I thought it smelled like regular bread. I was happy. I popped it into the toaster, but it didn't seem to actually toast. I shrugged, grabbed it out of the toaster and smothered it with with wild blackberry jam. It looked so promising. I took a bite and I thought this isn't so bad. Then I took another bite and another and realized I was in hell.

Sandy bread.

Does anyone actually buy this bread more than once because I tried another piece tonight and I give. I will do without bread if I have to but I am NOT eating that crap again.

I figure I will have to look around the internet for recipes. I'm hoping that I am not allergic to food of any kind. I can't imagine having to live without yummy bread or delicious cupcakes.

I did find a recipe for bread here on the internet. I may give it a try one day this week.

0 comments: