Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Elimination Diet

I've lived with asthma, allergies and sinus troubles for as long as I can remember. As a young child my mother took me to the doctor nearly every month. Whether it was chronic coughing or weezing my mother would wrap me up like a cacoon ad rush me to the doctor.

Every visit was the same. "So, tell me what ails you today?"

"I have a stuffy, runny nose. My head hurts and I can't stop coughing."

*Cough, cough, cough, cough...*

Ahhh-Chooooooooooooooooooooo!

The doctor would then take the toungue depressor to my mouth examining every inch. Her head tilted in just a way that her breath would exit her nose and enter into my mouth. Then she would start tapping at my face. "Does this hurt?" "Ouch. Yes, it hurts" "Uh huh and does this hurt?" I don't know about you, but someone poking and prodding at my face hurts, sinus pain or not...

Not much would be said by way of diagnosis. I would be given a prescription for albuterol and an anti-biotic and sent on my way. I would feel better and then get worse thus repeating this treatment for the whole of my childhood. Wash, rinse, repeat.

When I reached my teens my mother decided it was time to look into allergy testing. I found out I was allergic to a lot of things. Cats, grass, dust, mold...

I started immunology but grew tired of making trips to the doctor's office, waiting to be seen and then sitting there for the prescribed 20 minutes after the shot to assure there would be no allergic reaction. So I quit. What can I say? I was a stupid teen.

Now I am in my very early 30's and I am still suffering with asthma, allergies, and chronic sinus infections. Currently, I am being treated for a severe sinus blockage. The worst is the hearing loss.

I'm going to be starting The Elimination Diet I found in the book 'Sinus Relief Now'.

Stay Tuned...

0 comments: