Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Elimination Diet Day 1000

Okay so I haven't been on the diet that many days but it sure feels like it. My diet consists of the same foods daily as I am not creative enough to come up with a varied diet and the recipe books I have checked out always include some ingredient I can't eat and even though I've cheated daily it's been mostly dairy like milk shakes or ice cream. I seem to have a constant craving for dairy. It states in the book that people are most likely allergic to the foods they desperately crave. However, the only changes I notice when I eat dairy is a constant need to clear my throat. I get very mucousy, but otherwise I don't seem to be having any other reactions from dairy alone.

I'm feeling 90% better. I am not as tired. I have a renewed energy that I haven't felt in years, but if I stray from the diet I feel very sluggish, almost like I've been drugged. I ate a whole bunch of bread and the reaction was extreme fatigue. I didn't recover for two solid days. It's amazing thinking that before I started this diet I was eating bread daily and fighting an almost constant need to rest. I even realized that when I was running on empty and feeling sluggish eating would only make me feel worse. I felt better on an empty stomach and I just couldn't understand how at one point in my life eating had actually energized me and now it had the opposite effect. I am unsure at this point how to come off of this diet, but it is clear that I will have to cut out wheat.

I am thinking I will transition from this diet to a gluten free diet and continue to keep sugar to a minimum as sugar also gives me an immediete sugar rush that actually makes me feel comatose. Since my diet has always consisted of extreme sugar abuse eliminating it from my diet and using it sparingly I can actually see the negative effects it has on me. I'm unsure why they say sugar energizes you, and I've often heard this about children too, that it makes them hyper, but I find the opposite is what actually occurs.

0 comments: